Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Glen Iris Brick Co.

The Glen Iris Brick Tile and Terra Cotta Co Pty Ltd purchased a site straddling Gardiners Creek in Malvern and Camberwell on 5 March 1912, but a combination of the council and the brick cartel blocking access, they instead leased land in Watt St Thornbury of St Georges Road for a brick pit.

The Glen Iris company also obtained a brick pit and works in Oakleigh east of Stamford Road (opposite the Oakleigh Brickworks site) in the 1930s, and later in Templestowe. Glen Iris issued a number of commemorative or dated bricks including a 1954 Royal Tour brick and 1956 Olympic Games brick.

The Glen Iris Company was bought by Boral in 1970. Northcote council and the state government transferred the Thornbury site to Aboriginal Advancement League by 1982.

c1915 early form

1930s? impressed letters with tally mark
1940s raised letters
1954 Royal Tour Brick
1955 raised letters
1950s coat of arms
1956 Olympic
1960s bar frog

10 comments:

  1. Hi. Like to know if the 1954 Royal Tour brick are worth anything as i have a few in perfect condition ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be interested in buying one if you still have some. Please let me know.

      Delete
    2. We’re you successful in purchasing one ? If not I have one available.

      Delete
    3. Hi Ron - thank you for the offer. I have finished the paving I was doing so don’t have the need anymore. Cheers

      Delete
  2. I’d love one if you have one still. Would be a great talking point in my paving as I have an Olympic one and a coat of arms as well. Pls reach out to me if you would be will to sell one for $10

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one dated 1959 but the last 9 is clearly different from the preceding 195 as if added or changed for some reason, any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ron, I would like to buy a Glen Iris brick if you have one. Is it still available? 0428 499 651

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David. Please read my post below. Thankd

      Delete
  5. Hi David. I have 17 Glen Iris Hawthorn Olympic cream bricks if you aren't successful obtaining one here. Regards Merlyn . 0425 722 726. Condition is used

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dad has found a 1954 royal visit brick with raised letters and was curious on its worth.

    ReplyDelete